Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kenya Day 3

Today I have reached Kisumu where I will start my internship. The bus journey took five and a half hours, which was comfortable. Although I will not comment on the driving! Luckily there was someone waiting to meet me when I arrived on the edge of Lake Victoria. It was Peter who is the office advocate (in Kenya they don’t have the solicitor/ barrister distinction – instead everyone goes to the bar). Peter took me to the office and I noted there would be three tables and computers for 5 people. The others in the office seem nice.

It is much warmer in Kisumu than in Nairobi, which will be huge challenge although I think I will rarely have to wear a suit. My new accommodation has lifted my spirits somewhat as I have a well-protected room from mosquitoes and a woman called Lillian who washes my clothes!! The apartment is very clean and secure however I am not sure how long I can stay here, as it may be temporary.

I have been shown how to get in and out of the city in a matatu (mini bus). It takes about 15 minutes and costs 20 Shillings – equivalent to 16p.

I slept in the afternoon and woke to find three Swedish girls and it turned out they had been living in the apartment for the previous three weeks and were leaving the next morning. They cooked me dinner that night and offered me a lot of useful information about Kisumu. It was refreshing to have conversation with clear English speakers and learn some facts and safety measures that may have taken me weeks to find out. The girls had been working for an NGO in Kisumu and had left for Tanzania by the time I was out of bed the next morning.

Day 3 was the first time I had spoken to anyone from home - a five-minute conversation with Mum. Also that evening I managed to get online via wireless in the apartment and send some messages on Facebook. I listened to Radio 4 to try and bring some normality back into my life, especially as everything has changed at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment