Saturday, February 20, 2010

Kenya Day 5

Court at 9am for a criminal case about a guy who was charged with stealing two batteries from a car. The batteries where worth around £100 and if found guilty he could face a maximum 14 years in prison which doesn’t seem reasonable. Peter was defending the man and gave a good account for his defence. It appears the police had inconsistent evidence to convict – only time will tell.

CLEAR are in place to represent people who can’t afford professional legal fees. This case may save a man from many years in prison and bring justice (that is of course if he is telling the truth and didn’t commit the crime).

We went immediately to the Kisumu High court for a hearing regarding a couple fighting custody rights of their children. I was unable to ‘sit in’ on this occasion. Following this and a scary ride on the back of a motorbike we returned to the office. Peter left for court with nothing for me to do so I went to the internet café to send some emails.

That evening on the way home I prayed that God would put people around me as I wouldn’t feel lonely. I returned home to meet a Kenyan couple (Dentist and Nurse) who invited me to have Kenyan tea and asked if I would join them the next day to help with medical care in a remote village 50Km outside Kisumu. I agreed as I had no other plans and prepared for a 5am rise and a trip close to the homeland of one Barrack Obama!

The internet was working so I sent emails to various people and read before bed. I felt God had organised my weekend to keep me busy and I praised his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment